Tuesday, January 02, 2007

One More Day...

Last night Elizabeth came over and she also spent the night. It was pretty much a normal stay and nothing super happened. Sometime around one in the afternoon my mom had me get the kittens (Maxine had three kittens about a month and a half ago) and put them in a box so we could drive them to the animal shelter. We didn't really want to do it, but we couldn't keep them all and feed them, so we had to. As I set them in the box mom asked me in a whisper: "Do you want to keep the one you asked about?" I said "Yes" and pulled her out of the box and placed her back on the floor, glad that at least one of them didn't have to go through the trauma of being driven in the car and dropped off to a cage and never see us again. Halfway there, in the car, I started to smell an awful smell and figured one of the kittens had went to the bathroom in the box. That was before I heard a bubbling gurgling noise. Then I knew that one had puked and the other was following suite. It smelled horrible and we had to open two windows to get rid of the stench. After they puked I opened the box a bit wider so the kittens could get some fresh air and due to pure human curiousity...I looked at the cat puke. I noticed there was what looked like a long thread of mozarella cheese, then it moved and I realized it was a worm. I watched it coil into a circle and slowly wiggle amongst itself. It was disturbing(because I hate maggots and it is similar), cool(because it was gross), and a little saddening (because I acknowledged that it came from the kitten) all at once. So the kittens wouldn't step in the puke, I pulled them both out and I held onto one while Liz held onto the other. We finally made it to the animal shelter and after we got out and my mom spoke to Gordy (the dog warden) and he told her that the shelter wasn't open today. She had checked a paper or site or something that said it was, but she must have read it wrong because they would be open tomorrow. So by then Alex had already thrown away the box the cats puked in and we had no way of keeping them in one place in the car so they wouldn't be scared, so Gordy let us borrow a pet carrier after he poured the water out of the bottom of it. It was still wet and the air was so cold outside that my heart told me not to put them in it, but I had to. Then when we got to the back of the car, I told mom there was water in it and she made us hold the cats while she threw a thick, plaid blanket in there over the wet bottom so the cats would be warm and comfortable. I felt better after that. We drove home, put the cats back in the house, and I spent the rest of the day up until now by listening to my CD player while spinning in the computer chair.
Song Of The Day: "Living On A Prayer" - Bon Jovi

No comments: